We all know that sunscreen is essential for protecting our skin from the harmful effects of the sun, but what about our hair and nails? They are also exposed to the sun’s rays and can suffer from damage, discoloration, dryness and brittleness. Here are some tips on how to keep your hair and nails healthy and beautiful in the summer.
- Use a hair sunscreen: Just like your skin, your hair needs a sunblock to shield it from the UVA and UVB rays that can damage the cuticle, the outer layer of the hair strand. According to dermatologist Wilma Bergfeld, MD, sun damage can cause your hair to lose its color, moisture and elasticity, leading to breakage and split ends. A hair sunscreen is a product that you apply on your hair before going out in the sun, usually in the form of a spray, cream or oil. It can also help to prevent your hair color from fading or turning brassy. Look for products that have SPF or UV filters in their ingredients and reapply them every few hours or after swimming.
- Wear a hat or a scarf: Another way to protect your hair and scalp from the sun is to cover them with a hat or a scarf. This can also help to keep your head cool and prevent heatstroke. Choose a hat that has a wide brim and is made of breathable fabric, such as cotton or linen. A scarf can also be wrapped around your hair or tied into a turban for a stylish look. Make sure to cover any exposed areas of your scalp, especially if you have thinning hair or bald spots.
- Rinse your hair after swimming: If you enjoy swimming in the pool or the ocean, you should rinse your hair as soon as possible after getting out of the water. Chlorine and salt can dry out your hair and make it more prone to damage. You can also use a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove any buildup of minerals or chemicals from your hair. Alternatively, you can wet your hair with fresh water before swimming to prevent it from absorbing too much chlorine or salt.
- Use a moisturizing conditioner: To restore the moisture and shine of your hair after sun exposure, you should use a moisturizing conditioner at least once a week. You can also use a deep conditioning mask or a natural oil, such as coconut, olive or argan oil, to nourish your hair and repair any damage. Leave the conditioner or oil on your hair for at least 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water. This will help to seal the cuticle and lock in the moisture.
- Trim your hair regularly: The sun can make your hair more susceptible to split ends and frizz, so it is important to trim your hair regularly to get rid of any damaged ends. You can also use a serum or a leave-in conditioner to smooth out any flyaways and add some shine to your hair.
- Apply sunscreen on your nails: Your nails can also get damaged by the sun, especially if you wear nail polish or gel manicures. The sun can cause your nail polish to chip, peel or fade, and it can also weaken your nails and make them brittle. To prevent this, you should apply sunscreen on your nails before going out in the sun. You can use the same sunscreen that you use for your skin or look for products that are specially designed for nails. You should also reapply sunscreen every few hours or after washing your hands.
- Wear gloves when doing chores: Another way to protect your nails from sun damage is to wear gloves when doing chores that involve water, chemicals or dirt. These can strip away the natural oils from your nails and make them dry and brittle. You should also avoid biting your nails or picking at your cuticles, as this can cause infections and inflammation.
- Moisturize your nails daily: To keep your nails healthy and strong, you should moisturize them daily with a nail cream or oil. This will help to hydrate your nails and prevent them from cracking or peeling. You can also massage your nails and cuticles with some lemon juice or vinegar to brighten them and remove any stains.
By following these tips, you can protect your hair and nails from sun damage and enjoy the summer without worrying about their health and appearance.